Some of my favorites:
1. Forget things, for no reason. [“Jesus, I told you we were gonna need the Netherhelm of Binding to seal the Fellgate.” “I know, that’s what’s so weird! I put it on this morning. I could swear it. Or did I? Now I don’t even know.” “Well I guess we’ll just have to seal the Fellgate tomorrow.” “Well I guess so.”]
5. Meet a woman who’s not a witch, a healer or a princess and not remark upon how extraordinary it is that she’s not a witch or a healer or a princess.
6. Meet a non-white person and not subsequently discover they’re from the Burning Lands Far to the South or something like that.
9. Meet an orphan whose parents just turn out to be just as random and ordinary as his or her adoptive parents.
11. Meet an orc who actually isn’t an asshole.
13. Die of natural causes
18. Meet a brusque yet kindly old man who doesn’t actually know anything more about what’s going on than anybody else does.
19. Discover a magic portal to a world that is pretty much the same deal as the world they came from.
20. Get eaten by a dragon. Come on, if dragons were real they would eat _everybody_.